Jul 11

Singapore Airlines Will Increase Its Stake in Virgin Australia

Last October, Singapore Airlines purchased a 10% stake from Virgin Australia, Australia’s second largest airline. Now, Singapore Airlines is eyeing another venture with the company. It is reported that Singapore Airlines has agreed to buy another 9.9% stake in Virgin Australia, putting their total holding to 19.9%. But the purchase still requires the endorsement and approval of Australia’s Foreign Investment Review Board.

Singapore_Airlines-A380

If its board approves, Singapore Airline will share the glory of the other two top shareholders like Richard Branson’s Virgin Group and Air New Zealand. Etihad Airlines (Abu Dhabi) also ventured in Virgin Australia, giving the company heavy financial influence to compete domestically with Qantas. Australia has a lot of potential markets therefore many global airlines intensify their ties with local carriers like Virgin Australia to tap the market. What makes Virgin Australia unique? Here’s a look:

Current fleet

As of February 2013, Virgin Australia possesses a total of 94 aircrafts. They have 6 Airbus A330-200, 4 Boeing 737-700, 61 Boeing 737-800, 5 Boeing 777-300ER and 18 Embracer E-190AR.

Cabin

For short and domestic hauls, there are business class, premium economy and economy seats. For international and long hauls, there are international business, international premium economy, and international economy class.

In-flight amenities

During flights, food and beverages are served not to mention entertainment is provided. The food menu depends on the purchased fare but they take pride in their “sophisticated” menu. Entertainment includes cable television, music, movies, laptops, smartphones, etc.

Velocity Frequent Flyer

Velocity Frequent Flyer is different from other programs because points earned depends on the cost of the flight and not the distance covered. However, this has also been recently changed due to the introduction of status levels.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *